Branding isn’t just a buzzword – it’s a core element of marketing. A strong brand flies the flag for your business and sets you apart from your competitors. In this article we’ll explore some of the reasons why branding is so important, and consider the benefits of rebranding.
What is a brand?
Let’s begin with defining exactly what we mean by ‘brand’. It might be helpful to think of your brand as your reputation – it’s the way people perceive your business. Don’t confuse your brand with your logo; that’s just one visual signifier of it. Success lies in getting all the physical aspects of your brand working to make the right impact on your target market.
Why it’s important to have a strong brand
Strong branding should be at the heart of your marketing strategy, and here are some of the reasons why:
- It’s a quick and powerful way of engaging with your target market
- It instantly distinguishes you from your competitors
- It helps you build credibility, recognition and loyalty
- It generates recommendations, referrals and viral traffic
- It helps you attract (and retain) the best candidates in a competitive recruitment market
- When customers buy into a brand, price comparisons become less important
In a nutshell, the aim of strong branding is to build positive perceptions of your business, leading to lasting relationships. But remember that you have to be able to deliver on your promises; and as long as your customers’ experiences match their expectations, they will continue to associate your brand with good quality. It only takes consumers 10 seconds to form a first impression of a brand’s logo, but it takes 5-7 impressions for consumers to recognize the logo.
Take a look at the branding work we did for Systemagic: The thinking behind the brand
The benefits of rebranding
Once you understand the importance of having a strong brand, it’s easy to see why it might be necessary to review yours from time to time.
Here are some examples of when this might be particularly prudent:
- If your business name has changed
- If your business has significantly expanded or grown
- If the nature or focus of your business has changed
But even if there haven’t been any major changes to your business it’s still worth regularly considering whether your brand still a) accurately reflects your business and b) appeals to your target market.
If you decide that your brand isn’t working, don’t be despondent; rebranding can be a really positive exercise with plenty of benefits:
- It gives you the opportunity to take a step back from your business and get a fresh perspective, opening you up to new possibilities
- The creative process can be a really exciting and fun experience – When working with Systemagic, we came up with lots of concepts to show them.
- Rebranding can stimulate your employees and give them a renewed sense of purpose
- A rebrand can validate the success of a growing company and communicate its strategic vision going forward
- It can help you reach (and retain) new potential customers
- It can help you meet your customer’s expectations
- It can give you even more of an edge over your competitors
If you’d like some assistance with your brand – from developing your initial strategy to creating the visual elements – please contact us. We’d love to apply our expertise and help you identify and share your story! Or have a look at our branding packages